It’s that time of year we get all of our materials set up and ready for small group reading. I wanted to give you a peek of how my table baskets are set up. Be sure to read to the end, there are are couple of freebies!
Here is my list of items for small group table baskets. Every basic item the students might need go in these baskets so we don’t lose any of our precious reading minutes.
1. Pencil and Eraser: That is pretty basic! I like to keep a big eraser in there too. My students wear the erasers right off the top of our pencils. They wear down the pencil caps quickly too. So I take the big erasers and break them in half.
2. Red Pencils: We don’t use the red pencils for checking! I have students write the chunks of words during word study in red so the spelling of the chunk stands out to them more, like in this picture below.
3. Dry Erase Marker and Eraser: This is self explanatory. I like the make up puffs from Dollar Tree for erasers.
4. Magnetic Letter Cups: These came from the Dollar Store and are the perfect size for magnetic letters when building a word during word work. You can see the post on these cups here and in the picture below.
6. Paint Strips: Ask for these at the paint store and they will most likely allow you to have them. They are always very nice to me when I ask to have some for my class. I laminate the strips so students can write on them as they stretch out sounds in words as they write.
7. Buttons or PomPoms: The buttons and PomPoms are for marking letters or spelling patterns on linking sounds anchor charts. You can read about the different activities we do with linking charts here and see it below.
8. Retelling Bookmarks: Something new I am trying this year. My students sometimes a visual for their retellings. So we are going to keep retelling bookmarks in our table baskets too. After reading our story and discussing it, we turn to our partner and do a quick retelling to each other. If you need these just click here to sign up for our newsletter to get them free! If you are already signed up, the bookmarks, both versions, are in your free resources link.
You can click here to check out the new cvc resource we now have available!
Click Here to Sign Up!