Do you use circle maps with your students? They are easy, but versatile to use. One of my classes was reading George Washington’s Mother. This book fit in so well with using a circle map to make all the information that the students were learning easier to manage.
We also did a circle map as we read Freckle Juice, an oldie but goodie story.
Circle maps can be used in a whole bunch of different ways. Here is a short list that is definitely not all inclusive!
* Brainstorming ideas
* Character traits and evidence
* Letter in middle and words that begin with that letter in outside circle
* Informational text and ideas learned
* Story events
* Adjectives to describe a character or object
* Verbs that a character can do
* Proper Nouns found in your town
After students have learned how to use the maps to organize their information, it can become a very useful tool for them to use independently.